Israel launched its campaign in Gaza on Dec. 27 to stop rocket fire from the militant Palestinian group Hamas. Gaza health officials say nearly 870 Palestinians have been killed, roughly half of them civilians. Thirteen Israelis have also died.
The following are some points of view that have since been expressed in the media:
1. Israel should not have responded to the rocket attacks with force
2. Israel has a right to defend itself, but should have only used equal force
3. Israel should have tried to talk longer while continuing to endure the rocket attacks
4. Israel is an illegitimate state and should not be allowed to exist
5. Palestine is for Palestinians. The conflict will continue until Israel is driven out
6. Israel has the right to defend itself and to take whatever measures are necessary to remove the cause of the assault on its territory
Do any of these views match your own?
Also comment, if you wish, on how you feel this decades old struggle might be resolved.
If at all possible, please do your best to stick to the historical facts whenever you can, if you know them, but give your personal views and beliefs, even if you are not sure about the history of the conflict.